Last night I attempted my very first sewing project – the PINCUSHION. When my friend Anne took me to this great store to buy all my supplies the one thing I didn’t get was a pincushion. I thought, sure I could spend the $0.79 and get the traditional tomato one, but I HATE tomatoes, so maybe I’ll try to make one, after all it was my first project in grade 7 how hard could it be?
So with that in mind I decided to find an easy pincushion pattern that I would be able to make on my first attempt. There is an amazing amount of pincushion choices out there…many, in my opinion, UGLY! Then I came across the funky chicken. It seemed simple enough, 2 pieces of 4×4 fabric, stiff felt for the beak, tail and top thing. Should be able to give that a go, especially if I didn’t try the log cabin quilting pattern. I did however try to make a multicolored chicken, but had much difficulty with sewing a straight seam so when I cut the sewed pieces apart, like the pattern said to, it didn’t form a square anymore. I didn’t think I could salvage it, so I started again. Once again getting my trusty rotary cutter out – which by the way is tricky to use for a first timer some how it gets away from you and gone is your straight edge, which is the whole point. After a little while, I managed to create my very own funky chicken pincushion. I think it looks pretty good too.
I need way more work on the whole idea of sewing straight. I’ll keep practicing on the cut up sheets Nate brought me.