On Saturday, the first official day of my spring break, I spent at the Chestermere Community Sew Day, an event that was hosted by the Lakeside Quilters Guild. I mentioned it earlier this week here. It was a charity event where the finished quilts will be given to Quilts of Valor.
Valerie, of pastimesonline, and I teamed up to complete the quilt top together. Our first task was to create about 15 blocks of the nine patch.
Once we had done that and then decided which way to press the seams (open or to one side – we went with open for this one), we moved onto cutting out blocks into 4s. We cut them down the centre, giving us a one full square and a 2″ strip.
Then we cut those two pieces into half again, giving us 4 smaller blocks.
Then came the tricky step, figuring out how we were going to organize our new blocks. We tried many different combinations before we found one that we were happy with.
This is what we ended up with. After lunch we put the blocks together into our rows and ended up with our finished top.
Double check your centre squares when mismatching a nine patch especially if I press them, I don’t always put them back they way they are suppose to – sorry about that 🙂
PS. Happy Birthday VALERIE! Hope it is an awesome day for you.