Leaves- not appliqued: An Update

A little while ago I shared with you the process I went through making the leaf blocks on the Arborteum quilt that I was working on.

Oddly enough the inset seams on the leaf were not at all the hardest part of the quilt.  In fact the checkerboard border around each of the large blocks was far worse.  It turns out that what I thought was a 1/4″ seam setting on my machine was in fact NOT AT ALL.  I think finally I have it worked out – I think, I did test it again today just to make it sure.  Anyways, back to the checkerboard.  We had to sew 16 strips together, then cut them into 1.5″ strips showing each of the 16 fabrics, then sew the 1.5″ strips together to make one really really long strip, and then after counting out a certain number of squares undoing the seams so we would have a strip of 10 squares or 11, 12 or 13.  It was a bit of a process and at times a real pain in the rear end.  Especially when I tried to be so careful about making them all the right size and making sure I sewed carefully because I had been told it was the hardest part of the quilt.

This is my design wall, after I had finished all the checkerboards, and laying out the rest of the borders of the large blocks.

After sewing on all the borders to the large blocks I had to arrange the large and small blocks in a way that I would be pleased with.  I went through 5 or 6 arrangements before I was finally happy.  This is the final design.

On my last class with the Arboretum pattern I put it together and tried out my borders.  I had bought some great fabric for the borders, because there was suppose to be 4 of them.  But once I laid the fabric out with my top I didn’t like it at all.  I was grossed out actually.  So with the teachers help we picked out a fabric that would work and I decided to make only one border.

It is a purply fabric with purples, pinks, yellows, and blues in it.  I don’t usually care for batiks with animals on them, but this one isn’t too bad at all and I’m quite happy with the way it turned out.
Learned Today:

I think sometimes we have to be careful when we tell people that “this” is the hardest part of a project or the “worst” part.  I know young students always take that to heart and have problems with it.  And I think young students/beginner students have that same kind of reaction to it – you say it is hard, they believe you and it becomes hard- because of the uncertainty.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Quilting, Sewing, Teaching

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s