This year at guild we had a challenge to create a quilt that was a minimum of 30″ x 30″, made using only one block and at least 10 different fabrics.
This is what I made. I saw one a small version up in a store and immediately knew that was the one for me. It was originally a two block pattern a 16 patch with a pin wheel. But when I first saw it, I actually saw it as a one block on point (diamond shape, not square). I drew the block design and sketched out what it might look like as a quilt. The problem was the quilt I sketched out was a one block, it had little triangles in the corners (called setting triangles) to make it a square shape.
For Christmas Nate got me the EQ7 software, so I designed the block using the software and worked on a quilt layout. Then I found the one that allowed me to use half of one of the blocks to create the setting triangles which DIDN’T break the rules.
I really like how it turned out. I used batik fabrics that my Grandpa gave me – there are over 40 of them in here. It is going to be my first quilt that I will hang on my wall.