32 To Do: #19 Make a camera case

Nate got me this fabulous camera for Christmas this year.  It is the Canon Powershot S110.  It has a huge screen on the back – it is a touch screen too.  And he got me it in white – pretty flashy if I do say so myself.  The only problem with it is that it didn’t come with a case and I didn’t want the screen to get all scratched up in my purse or diaper bag as I paparazzied our baby.

Once again I scoured pinterest for DIY camera cases and looked at a bunch of tutorials.  I found this super wonderful one too and I saw that many other people had been successful at it as there was picture proof.  So I thought I would give it a whirl.  Lets just say it was a debacle.  The measurements for the camera were the same, so I cut out the pieces as guided in the tutorial.  But once they were cut out and looking at my camera I was starting to doubt  this was going to fit.  So I cut more fabric an inch and a half larger thinking that would help me out.  Continuing on my merry way I began following the instructions, only to discover – NO SEAM ALLOWANCES.  I decided to ere on the side of caution and use a 1/4″ seam allowance.  Lets just say that my camera didn’t fit – and if I made the seam allowance smaller I was afraid it would rip open while putting in my camera.  So I stepped up to the bigger pieces of fabric I had cut and tried again.  This was going better until the finishing stitches.  It called for you to insert the lining into the outer piece wrong sides together.  Then fold the two top edges in, how much?  don’t have a clue, then stitch around it to finish it.  I did my best.

And voila, that is what came out.  UGLY!  I will not use that, I will not take that out of my hand bag, I will not allow this to leave my drawer or circular file bin.  I didn’t even want to post this photo.

After this, this was the 4th project with no seam allowances that didn’t turn out, I was ready to give up, but then I remembered I had put it on my 32 To Do List.

So back to the drawing board I went.  I found another one that I quite liked and thought, ok maybe, this will work, after all I’ve tried her tutorials before and they have all turned out rather well.

And I was able to make this…..

Now this I will carry around.  It is another Pink Penguin Tutorial.    She also did that tutorial on the lunch bag that you’ve probably seen around everywhere.

Lunch kit 2

It was a really good tutorial and it was her very first one in English too.  I did alter it a little bit, because the camera hers was made for wasn’t the same size as mine. I would be happy to share my calculations if you would like – they have been checked and as you can see did work out – just let me know.

I also didn’t want to hand sew the top and bottom binding on, so I used the tutorial Amanda Jean over at Crazy Mom Quilts for machine binding.  

The only thing I don’t like is the raw edges at the top and bottom of the side binding pieces.  I am concerned with fray there, but for now I am quite happen to put my little camera in its case and tote it around.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Everyday Life, Sewing, Tutorials

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s