Ella was in need of a new sleep sack as the winter months approached. She has a thin cotton one, that we knew would’t be warm in the cool temperatures. I headed out to a couple of stores to find the next size and something a little heavier than cotton. But I had a lot of trouble finding the next size up. Ones I found in the 18-24 month, were a shocking amount of money. Who knew a sleep sack could be $80 plus?
In the end I decided to try my hand at making one for her. I used some fabric I had left over from a quilt to make the quilted front. I picked up some flannel to make the inside.
This was a bit more challenging than I first thought and I made some mistakes along the way, but in the end I am thrilled with the result. Ella loves it too. In fact, every quilt she sees she now calls a sack. I would love to have one myself.
Since the piece had a quilted front and a flannel inside, I had to figure out, along the way, how to join those pieces together with a finished seam, AND join the pieces to make the sack again with a finished seam. Perhaps the arm holes are a touch tight because of this mishap. My seam ripper became a VERY GOOD friend through this project.
Now that I know how to do this, I will be able to make the next one without so many tribulations.